Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Social Laughter

Last night we were watching some old "Carol Burnett Show" reruns. Now, this was not my favorite TV show by far when I was growing up, but last night I was struck by how different such programs are from today's fare. Of course there is no dirty talk or profanity on the old reruns. But it dawned on me that perhaps the biggest difference was the fact that Carol wasn't trying to change my thinking about gay marriage or abortion. No one was coming out of the closet or making an anti-war statement. No, Carol, Harvie, and Tim were there solely to make me laugh–and they did. Perhaps today's more "enlightened" performers–who attempt to sneak some article of faith from the liberal social agenda into every show–need to start taking some cues from the classic and classy veterans. If they want to improve society, they can start by keeping their politics to themselves. Just make us laugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home